Friday, February 28, 2014

Generations


Three generations are in this photo. 
No I am not expecting and and neither is David. As far as I know it is still impossible for men to have a baby in spite of Hollywood movies like Junior.

There are three generations represented in this photo. David's, mine and Michelle's dad's generation on the mantle piece. 
The flag on the mantle reminds us of David Shepherd, Michelle's father who passed to life eternal some years ago due to cancer. 
He was a good guy and I liked being around him. He gave me some good advice, was a "thinker" and made me laugh often but I would NEVER sit down at a game of cards with the guy because he cheated! 
Do me a favor, go back and look at the photo again. Look at the shirt I am wearing.

A famous book store and an independent one too boot which is rare these days. I picked that shirt up when traveling recently through Oregon. Powell's is famous for a few reasons but one that stands out to me is the fact of how they stock books on the shelf. 
They have new books lining the shelves, unmarred by human hands or dog mung. The pages are crisp and clean with no underlined words or phrases or dog eared pages. If you open the book and stick your nose into it, you can still catch the sent of ink. The spine makes a cracking sound when opened.
The shelves also have old books on them. Right next to the new books you might find a used copy of the same book. The cover will likely be a little discolored and the pages smell more like dust and time rather than fresh ink. The books show some tender wear and yet were loved and cared for. You open them and the spine does not crack and pop like a new book. What did the previous owner think of the book? Where did the book travel as it was being read? What is that spot--Coffee? Maybe one crisp morning while reading that book over breakfast the owner spilled that drop of coffee on the book as they read it. It reminds you there is an addition unwritten and untold story about that used book in your hand. We can only guess or dream about the things that happened around the book before it was bought in to be sold again to a new owner. If the book could only tell that story as well it could be a book of all its own. 
New, old, and older all sitting on a shelve together. Not unlike the picture of three generations. 
I get to stand next to my son (and my daughters) as Michelle's dad stood next to her and to me for a time. What do I do with the time I get to stand next to this new generation? I am getting older. I have some spots I did not have a few years back and some dog eared corners but I do not smell like a BENGAY factory yet!
I remember Michelle's dad standing next to me one time shortly after Michelle and I were married. Michelle and I had been thinking about not having any kids. Michelle's dad invited me to go on a walk with him through the property he owned. As we walked together through the woods he asked me why we were thinking about not having kids. I told him I did not know if I wanted to raise kids in the world with the way everything was going. He stopped and looked at me and said: "Andy, the world needs parents like you and Michelle". He was saying that for the next generation it was important for us to stand next to them and tell the story of our life. The next generation can learn from our fears, our joy and lessons we learned as we grew up and life changed around us. He shared his life in unvarnished detail with me over the years. I am thankful that he did share so much of his life with me. It was not always pretty or smooth. He made plenty of mistakes besides cheating at cards.
That is what I get to do with my kids now as they are the new generation. Michelle and I share what their grandfather's were like. We share their stories and add our stories of life to the mix. New and old standing together. 
The church needs the new. The church needs the old... and everything in between. 
Times change and the generations change. It is wonderful to know God does not change. In the church God brings his people together from every generation and every land. When it happens right and in a God pleasing manner it becomes a beautiful thing. 
Old learn from young. Young learn from old. There is mutual respect, love and care. Personal agenda's are put aside for the sake of God's kingdom. Prejudice and bigotry disappear.  There are not winners and losers or hostile takeovers.    When it happens right God is glorified and lives are transformed. 
Pray for your families, your friends, your church and be willing to stand beside each other on the bookshelf knowing we are different but the same- 
WE ARE GOD'S CHILDREN!!



No comments:

Post a Comment